"Magnificent! Stunning! This trophy is everything I desire... on the shelf of my living room!"
DJ Grooves is a major character in A Hat in Time. He appears in Battle of the Birds as one of the two birds running Dead Bird Studio, the other being his rival, The Conductor. Having a rivalry with the Conductor, he's one of the two birds that Hat Kid can help win the competition for the Annual Bird Movie Awards.
DJ Grooves acts as the director of both Picture Perfect and The Big Parade. In the former, he tells Hat Kid to go around gaining attention and "helping" the people around the city as a rising diva. In the latter, he has Hat Kid go around a parade to collect tokens with his face as well as turn off timers and buses.
Dead Bird Studios
In the first act of Chapter 2, Dj Grooves is first seen arguing with the Conductor in the reception. After Hat Kid breaks into the movie studio, he is seen numerous times throughout the level, directing his movie. At the very end of the act, Dj Grooves is found admiring a plastic replica of the annual bird movie award. Once he spots Hat Kid, he will ask her to star in his movies, and then takes her picture and gives her a bird passport.
In Act 3, Dj Grooves has Hat Kid star in his latest movie. He says that Hat Kid must increase her fanclub, which can be done by finding certain penguins as well as a token of Dj Grooves' face. If the latter is collected, Dj Grooves will drop down from the sky and give an endorsement, which boosts Hat Kid's fanclub.
The Big Parade
In Act 5, Dj Grooves has Hat Kid lead a parade of owls around the map in exchange for the timepiece. He will call out when Hat Kid needs to perform certain tasks until the timepiece is dropped from the large disco ball in the center of the map.
The Award Ceremony
If Hat Kid has him as the winner of the Annual Bird Movie Awards, he will thank her for helping him win, and then give them a single time piece. He then asks if Hat Kid expected something crazy.
The Award Ceremony Pt. 2
|"A SPOILER? On MY Owl Express?"|
During the actual Award Ceremony, he can either be a villain or an ally depending on who won. If he was the winner of the award, he will be the antagonist of the chapter, but if he lost, he will be helping Hat Kid in the boss battle.
During the final fight with him as a boss, he will jump at her, drop down on a disco ball, charge her with a knife, rapidly swing with a knife, create photo copies of himself that charge her with a knife, create photo copies of the disco ball that drop down with the same effect, and call upon cars onto the arena.
Midway through the fight, he will have a "Heart to Heart" with Hat Kid. He will tell her that the reason for him wanting to keep the time piece is that he is sure The Conductor cheated his way to getting all the previous trophies, and DJ Grooves wants it back to its rightful owner, himself. Hat Kid can either tell him "Maybe" or "Nope" when prompted if he could use the time piece. If saying "Maybe", he thanks her, but tells her that she cannot leave the room without dying because he cannot risk The Conductor finding out he cheated. If no, he will tell Hat Kid that she is greedy and that she is going to have to take it from him. Either option, immediately after he straps the bomb from "Train Rush" onto her, now giving you a 80 second time limit.
During the next phase, he will gain a new attack, which allows him to spin 3 chainsaws two times on the ground towards Hat Kid. Hat Kid now needs to hit him 4-5 times before The Conductor will step in, saying he will find a way to defuse the bomb. After 5 more hits, The Conductor will bring out his Bomb Defuser (Which is really a giant pair of scissors). When Hat Kid runs up to him, the timer stops and the bomb disappears. Immediately after, 4 of the parade owls will fall down with knifes, and follow Hat Kid around. DJ Grooves will start falling and doing attacks from phase 1 of the fight, and after 5 more hits he is defeated, falling unconscious on the floor.
If DJ Grooves loses the Annual Bird Movie Awards, the two directors will swap roles. The Conductor is fought instead, and DJ Grooves will instead help Hat Kid defeat the Conductor by defusing the bomb.
Dj Grooves only has one line in the finale, and it is optional. He can be spoken to outside of the doors, and is across from the Conductor. He one of the characters present in Mustache Girl's hyperspace area. When the characters begin to give Hat Kid their heart pons, he punches the Conductor (who also punches him back) and they both explode into heart pons.
At the end of the game, he is one of the characters clinging onto Hat Kid's ship and asking her not to leave.
- In Trainwreck of Science, DJ Grooves was originally a club owner.
- Despite the Moon Penguins' commitment to protecting DJ Grooves evident in "Groovy Underdog", he looks down on them, calling them "Terrible actors". Yet he still appreciates them a lot, despite their terrible acting.
- If you use the camera badge and look through his glasses, you can see he has eyes behind them. These same eyes are shown in the ”Conductor and Grooves’ Big Dreams” storybook.
- During the Chapter 2 boss battle, the villain will always use a larger DJ Grooves-sized hitbox, even if the Conductor is the villain. It is unclear whether the developers intended DJ Grooves to be the villain or if this was simply easier to program and balance for difficulty.
- In what appears to be his room, he has 385 (presumably fake) trophies in his room in the Dead Bird Studio basement.
- In the DLC Seal the Deal, the death wish Rhythm Jump Studio appears to be based off Grooves. As it's a time rift, you can collect story book pages. Upon collecting them all you will be presented with Groove's story book, & how his first movie went.
- There are voice lines in the game files that suggest that Dj Grooves was going to have a bigger part in the finale (even cheering on the Conductor at one point) but for an unknown reason, they were cut.
|Main Characters||Hat Kid • Mustache Girl • Bow Kid|
|Major Characters||The Conductor • DJ Grooves • The Empress • The Snatcher • Walrus Captain|
|Hostile Characters||Enemy • Mafia Boss • Mafia Goons • Queen Vanessa|
|Support Characters||Badge Seller • Cooking Cat • Goofy Mafia • Rumbi|
|Minor Characters||C.A.W Agents • Coffee Clerk • Express Owls • Fire Spirits • Fish Dude • Goats • Metro Cats • Moon Penguins • The Receptionist • Snatcher's Minions • Subcon Dwellers • Tourist • Traveller • White Seal Crew|